Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A New Year brings New Things!

Whew! It's been over a year since I created this thing and then neglected to keep it up! Time to get back with it!! Since I've left off, there's been a lot that's went on in my life.

My father beat cancer...


I graduated from Tulane University with my Bachelor of Arts in Media Arts & Marketing...



My sister moved to Colorado and I was actually able to drag my parents up there for a Thanksgiving visit (ON A PLANE!?!!)...






I dyed my hair red & yellow (not totally, but it was quite a drastic change that has grown on me!)...


And I took a break from normal life for a while and shook things up! Now that I'm back on track, time to catch up and get back to writing!

Since I first started this blog, my focus has changed just a little. I do plan to update with recipes that I've tried and succeeded with over the last year and ongoing, but for the current moment, I'm going to focus on some reflections and insights, and my Bucket List for 2012.

Be Healthy

I started off the new year with a plan for a healthier me (don't we all?), but rather than just say it, I decided I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I signed up for spin class and I've been going at least four times per week! I tried a Body Pump class recently which I think almost killed me but I might try it again! ;) I've also started riding my bike at least one day per weekend! This might not sound like a hardcore fitness routine, but its much more than the sitting on the couch I was doing before! Getting active is the first step. Eating healthier is the second. The energy you are lacking by NOT GETTING ACTIVE is just waiting for you to get off your butt! I downloaded an app on my cell phone called MyFitnessPal that allows me to track my calorie intake daily, as well as input my exercise routine to keep me on track to reach my goal weight. Since I mentioned goal weight: We all have a certain number or range that we consider to be ideal-- it's important to note here that you should be realistic and not set yourself up for failure. A number means nothing.... muscle weighs MORE than fat. That being said, I'm not so much concerned with a number on a scale. I'm athletic build. I'm never going to be stick thin, nor do I want to be. I appreciate my curves, but I do need some toning up!

SIDENOTE: Ladies: Numbers don't matter. Don't get so stuck to a certain number you want to see on the scale or a clothing size you have in your mind that you want to be. Get Naked. Stand in the mirror. Look at YOU and discover your own beauty! Stand there and point out the postives to yourself, and recognize what YOU want to change about your body. Then, get active and do it for YOU-- work for it!

That's MY plan.... to feel better about myself in the mirror, to feel comfortable in my own skin, all while knowing that the canvas I'm starting with is already beautiful. And..... so. are. you! <3

Be charitible

I am very blessed... I was raised by two amazing and loving parents that worked very hard to make sure I always had everything I've ever needed, most of the time wanted, and so much more. We all covet things beyond our financial means--material possessions that are honestly meaningless. But there are everyday blessings, like food on the table, clothes on our backs, and shelter, that many people go without. I know I can't save the world alone, but I have a huge heart and I can make an effort to sacrifice a little more, indulge a little less, and spread my wealth, love and blessings. It's a small step, but going forward, I will look for some cause to donate at least $10 per month to.. That's right $120 per year. It might be a small gesture but if others joined me in such a small sacrifice, think of what we could achieve.

Be Real

When I was about 16, I had life all planned out. I'd be engaged by 22, married by 24, and have kids by 28. My wedding would be a huge extravagent princess affair with everyone I know present to see me marry the man of my dreams. I'd have twins, a boy and a girl, and I'd live on a mansion on a hill (or something like that). Apparently somewhere in that dream, I'd also have won the lottery. Fast forward 10+ years....I'm 27. I'm not married and I don't have kids (of my own) [yet].... AND, that's completely okay. I am in a long term relationship and I've helped raise my step-daughter from a toddler into a young woman (tear). We bought our first house last year that we absolutely love (as mentioned in earlier posts). And, on the flip side of the teenage life I planned for myself, I'm also not divorced, nor did I spend a ton of money on the over the top wedding I would have planned filled with people who have no true presence in my life. That's the difference in your teens and twenties... for most of us. We grow up and our lives change. Our wants, needs, desires and priorities evolve. What my life is destined to become is still unfolding. I still don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up; I don't have a wedding date chosen; I don't know what I'll name the kids I'll one day have; and I don't know what path the future holds. One thing is for sure, whatever it is, it's going to be great!

Be Adventurous

So many times, I've thought and perhaps even spoke aloud, "One day, I want to do ______. (I want to go here, I want to try this, I want to do that.)" The problem with that is.... all talk, no action! Things don't just happen on thier own. You want to do something, you've gotta make plans and do it! This brings me to multiple things:

1. This Blog...

2. 2012 Bucket List

*Beast mode to Bikini Season with spin class & biking

*Get my run on (Sunday Rundays & Crescent City Classic)

*Go to the beach at least 3 times, plus at least one girls trip

*Plant a garden that will last (with bushes N things!)

*Have a crawfish boil

*Go to Disney World again (I really LOVE the happiest place on earth)

*Visit my sis in CO

*Help my sis plan her wedding ♥

*Roadtrip/Fly (?) to Ms. Kathy's in Cali

*Go at least 5 places in NOLA I've never been

I've already gotten started on some of these, but now it's posted here, I'm accountable, and I'm going to get going on this list! =]

It feels great to be back at it and working on so many wonderful things.... at the core of it all, working on ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment